Saturday, March 22, 2014

Dog Bite


My dog bit me.

My gentle dog has changed. He's old, and a bit senile. He isn't the loving animal he was a few months ago. He lunged at me so fast I couldn't escape.

I know it is time for him to go. I don't want to accept that.

That was two weeks ago. My hand still throbs. I had surgery  that left an open wound. I have to clean and pack it every day. I'm taking two antibiotics (so much for the belief that a dog's mouth is clean!). The skin is peeling on my injured hand, much like a sunburn. I can't go back to pool therapy until it heals.

The open heart surgery was a piece of cake compared to this.

I haven't had my nails done in weeks. I haven't been able to work.

I try to limit the pain pills. The Vicodin didn't do as much as the Tylenol/aspirin concoction I've resorted to, but Tylenol makes me sleepy. 

I sleep a lot. When I sleep, I don't think about losing my Rocco. I don't hurt. The land of dreams is a peaceful one.

I want to spend my days being cradled like a child cuddles her favorite teddy bear. I don't want to think right now.

The past year has been in the top five of the worst years ever. It hasn't been all bad, but it certainly has been a test of my faith, and also a test of my stamina. I know some of it is Satan's way of challenging me. I don't claim to be the good person that Job was, but I understand the story better now.

I don't mean to whine, but I had to get it out before the frustration kills me. 

There are days when I see someone much more seriously ill than I am. A  young friend, only 36, lost her husband just last week. Another has worn a heart monitor for weeks. Still another has cancer, or Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. I am really very lucky.

When I meditate and pray today, I need to do it with a new attitude.

Thanks for listening.


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, my dear friend. You are so right, there is always someone who has it worse. Someone who makes us realize how blessed we are. Still, if Job were still around, I think the two of you could easily share each other's woes over a couple of beers! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you have to go thru all this stuff. It sometimes seems like it's bad news, then sad news, and never enough good news. You n dad sure have had your faith tested in the last several years, and I'm proud of the way you stay strong. Love ya mom

    ReplyDelete